Gloucestershire Association of Cricket Umpires & Scorers held its 2019 Presentation Evening at Hatherley & Reddings CC, with over 60 members gathering to congratulate the finalists in the various individual award categories.
An impressive array of special guests from around the region was introduced by GACUS Chairman Clive Poulton and each presented one of the six awards. In his address, Clive paid tribute to the association’s 15 umpire mentors, the band of Boundary Edge Observers who carried out over 50 BEOs during the summer, the Umpire Training Team which ran 15 introductory, Stage 1 & Stage 2 courses between early March and mid-June and the hard-working Appointments Team, from which long-term organiser Clive Jones is stepping down after many years in the role.
The chairman also highlighted the huge contribution and quality of the county’s scorers and thanked Jonathan Labrum, MD of Cotswold Machinery Sales Ltd, whose company has sponsored the Scorer of the Year award since 2015.
Each of the award categories produced an impressive shortlist of nominees that emphasised the depth of expertise within the association’s ranks, which for the first time made umpire appointments into tier 6 of the county’s cricket structure.
In their individual resumes, in addition to accentuating the importance of appointed officials at the various levels of recreational cricket, the special guests offered insights into future developments in the region, celebrated a hugely successful season for Gloucestershire CCC and introduced the two new charities that GACUS will be actively supporting over the upcoming 18 months.
- Training Award, presented by Peter Matthias (Chairman of WEPL)
- Winner: Neil Saunders. Runners up: Andy Standring & Bea Ellis.
- Newcomer of the Year, presented by Les Clemenson (Interim Chairman, ECB ACO)
- Winner: Kevin Carden. Runners up: Jim Hyland & Alan Garrett.
- Progress Award, presented by Steve Silk (CEO, Gloucestershire Cricket Board)
- Winner: James Steele. Runners up: Phil Mattingley & Karl Shepherd.
- Derek Hibbs Scorer of the Year, presented by Brian Hudson (Chairman, Gloucestershire County Cricket League)
- Winner: Mark Wiltshire (Hatherley & Reddings CC). Runners up: Sue Soper (Chipping Sodbury CC) & Tom Newman (Cirencester CC).
- GACUS Unsung Hero, presented by Will Simmons (Cheltenham CC)
- Winner: John Lindley. Runners up: Clive Jones & Mark Haines.
- Umpire of the Year, presented by Roger Gibbons (President, Gloucestershire CCC)
- Winner: Tim Williams. Runners up: Clive Poulton & Ian McHardie-Jones.