The Jelf Insurance U16 Club T20, is a vibrant competition that offers young players an exciting format of cricket that aims to recreate the razzamatazz of the Vitality T20 Blast. In 2019, Thornbury Thunder were crowned Gloucestershire champions after beating Cheltenham Chiefs in the Final.
The Gloucestershire U19 T20 Competition is proudly sponsored by award winning Insurance Brokers, Jelf Insurance.
What is U16 T20?
The competition is a Gloucestershire Cricket Board initiative, based on the U19 T20 Competition, which sees young players compete in fast paced matches with, and against, their friends in a great social atmosphere. It offers a format of cricket to inspire and enthuse young people to stay in the game at their clubs.
15 clubs in Gloucestershire, wearing coloured kit, playing music and smashing a pink ball around has made a huge impact and is helping to…
- Retain young players within the game by providing them with additional opportunities to play with friends
- Create exciting match day experiences
- Create volunteering opportunities for young players within the club
Why do players love U16 T20?
There are many reasons why players love U16 T20. Some of the key areas are…
- Participating with friends
- Competing against other peers
- The opportunity to play cricket in coloured kit
- Music played at key moments of the game (boundaries, wickets etc.)
- Player statistics
What can you expect if you enter?
We want to build upon past successes and make the competition bigger and better. Participating clubs can expect the following:
- Pink U19 T20 balls
- 4–6 U19T20 fixtures, leading to a County Finals Day
- Access to discounted T20 kit
- A support package from ECB – including activation pack, player statistics package and interaction on social media
- Additional development opportunities for young players
- The opportunity to fundraise for the club
Once clubs have entered, the GCB will place teams into leagues based on geographical location in February, with fixtures to be played at convenient times for clubs from May to early August. Following the conclusion of the group stages, teams will progress on to Quarter-Finals ahead of a four team Finals Day.
My club are interested, but we’re not sure we have enough players?
The competition is open to any player between the age of 12-16. Teams are made up of mixed age groups and we are happy for amalgamated teams, enabling a joint club entry, which may suit some clubs to ensure all U16 players have the opportunity to compete.
For more information, please contact Scott Tremain.